Living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is an important factor in lowering the risk of developing various vein conditions such as varicose veins and spider veins. A healthy lifestyle includes eating a well balanced diet along with daily exercise. Certain foods do have an advantage of lowering the risk of developing these vein disorders than others.
- Foods rich in antioxidants like blue berries, raspberries, and black berries help to improve the function of the vascular system.
- A diet rich in vitamin C also helps to build and protect blood vessels. It also helps in the production of collagen and elastin. Collagen and elastin contribute to the strong structure of veins.
- Fiber is also key; a diet high in fiber helps to aid in digestion and prevents constipation. Overtime constipation causes pressure on veins, which can increase the occurrence of varicose veins. Fiber also helps to promote blood flow. Fresh fruits, beans and complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread, pasta, oatmeal, and brown rice are rich in fiber.
- Hydration is extremely important as it helps to promote proper blood flow so it is important to drink at 8 glasses of water a day.
- Lowering sodium intake is also important a diet high in sodium causes the body to retain fluid, which can damage veins in the long run.
It is also important to note that consuming excessive amount of calories on a daily basis can lead to an increase in body weight and even obesity, which can ultimately contribute to poor vein health. As a result of this, daily calorie intake should be monitored. This can be done by either reducing daily calories intake or including some sort physical activity e.g. running, walking or swimming as a part of your daily routine. When considering weight loss, the timing of meals is also important. It is recommended that 5-6 small meals a day are better than consuming 3 large meals. Smaller and more frequent meals help to speed up the metabolism, thus promoting weight loss.
Daily eating habits in life do have an impact on vein health so it is very important to practice good eating and exercise habits. Attention should always be paid to what we consume and how much of it we consume.